Russell, You are correct. I had a brain fart on the location of Tom
Oswald's businesses (bicycle shop and frame building). And that's despite
the fact my wife and I visited from Virginia over a decade ago to ride the
nearby Pine Creek Trail across the state line in NY.
Tom is a very nice fellow. And yes, he has honed his craft well since
learning it from Dale Brown (of Cycles de Oro in N.C.) when he worked at
Cycles de Oro. My feeling is that custom steel bicycles remain a bargain,
given the amount of time lavished on each. (That would apply to a custom
Riv too of course.)
Good luck on you repair search. (If you are near Boston, isn't that still a
hot bed of frame building?)
Paul Germain