I need to get Laing to set up my cantis for me :)  I have found V's to have
significantly more power and tend to save my hands on hillier terrain as a
result.  I run Motolites on my Bombadil (and I have the canti bridge just
hanging there.. doesn't look too weird though) and while they do become a
clearance limitation when you're trying to fit larger fenders, they'll
clear anything that fits the Bombadil.  I wouldn't go more than 2.4 or 2.5
with V's although I see Riv and Crust promoting larger; and biggest fender
combo I would try is a Flat 65 with 2.1 or 2.2.

I will say, after running a couple sets of Motolites and most recently
setting up and riding a pair of Avid V brakes ... the Avids work just as
well and are even easier to set up. They just lack fanciness.

Jason