Laing: Thanks for this detailed and informing overview; I have read it
through and will read it again slowly, but I think I get it: 90* to brake
arm pivots + as flat as possible at straddle, as little toe-in as you can
get by with to prevent squeal, and make sure that the pads meet the rim
brake tracks squarely. I've already done the last 2, must go back and look
at the first 2. The single rear rack strut to seatstay bridge may limit my
options in the rear. My pads are old Kool Stop salmons, the short, blocky
sort. I did make various shim tools for toe in, must seek those out again.

Thanks again!