You've fallen down a useful & informative rabbit hole.

I have a 58 cm Atlantis that I bought from Rivendell in 2003 (now 20 yo!).
I've used it extensively for loaded touring & it is everything everyone
says. Good handling, versatile, able to carry loads front & rear, etc. I've
done some off roading but mostly fire roads & easy trails. No technical
single track. IMHO it would be the bike for the type of use as you describe
it. The Atlantis 2 was 700c in 58 cm & larger, and 26" in 56 cm & smaller.

The newer versions have more wheel sizes, including some in 650B. There is
a rare Waterford version that was a bridge between Toyo & Taiwan. They were
only built for a year or so, and feature slightly longer chainstays than
the 2s but not the noticeably longer ones of the MITs. I rode one of these
at RBWHQ, not realizing there was any difference. I immediately noticed the
ride quality was more cushy than mine. I couldn't figure out what had
changed, & the person I talked to just said vaguely "Oh, we fiddled with
the geometry a little bit" but didn't elaborate.

Later, I rode a MIT version, 53 cm IIRC, and the ride was positively plush
compared to mine. I got onto some easy trails for a few miles & it felt
fine, even around fairly tight corners. No gnarly single track.

One thing to be aware of is toe clip overlap. I have size 11 feet &
sometimes hit the tire if making a tight, low speed turn. Not a major issue
but it does bother some people. For many it's not a consideration. I
believe the new geometries push the front wheel further out so this may no
longer be an issue. I ride flat pedals so my feet can wander around.

Regarding shipping, I have shipped my 58 cm quite a few times, including
Europe. It's definitely a big bike to pack. Everything comes of (racks,
etc.) to get it into a box. If shipping is in your plans, I'd definitely
ask about packing a MIT Atlantis.

Best of luck in your search.

Doug Peterson,
Irvine, CA