Surprising as it may be, that's a traditional location for rear-gear
shifters on townie bikes, up through about the mid-50s. I have a 1952
Peugeot PC40 frameset with a braze-on for a Simplex friction shifter in
that location; I've also seen a number of examples of indexed shifters
(both IGH and Super Champion).

Granted, the geometry of bikes of that type was to have relatively long top
tubes, in the style of the 1920s. This, plus the more upright riding
position, probably reduced the groin-impalement risk.

Peter Adler
Berkeley, CA/USA