Neoprene can work well, but the danger is you get wet from perspiration,
since it doesn't breathe.  Wet isn't a problem per se, but if you get cold
from being wet, that is another story.  Of course you'll be cold and wet
without proper gear too...

The biggest problem I had with my neoprene cyclocross gloves (all winter
gloves actually), is trying to put them back on with sweaty hands after
needing to remove them (stops, repairs, etc.).  Lesson learned, I always
ride with spare gloves on winter rides.

Brian Ignatin
Pineville, PA  USA