Agree that three is a good target (road, mountain, utility), so why am I at
seven? I feel a sale coming up.

This topic always reminds me of the Peter Egan column asking how many
motorcycles you need. He comes out to five, with much of the same rationale
we use for bikes. I'm at zero there :(

https://magazine.cycleworld.com/article/1997/3/1/how-many-bikes-do-you-really-need

Eric