Dave -

I guess my comment might have led you to believe that I have a tough guy
mechanic attitude which just isn’t the case. I have over-torqued lockrings,
but it’s easy to back off and the issue of over-torquing isn’t dire like
with over-torquing a threaded bb (I always use a torque wrench for that).

Be that as it may, most (not all) bike mechanics I’ve met are not tough
guys looking to prove a point. My aim with my comment was to share my
opinion that most hobbyists spend too much time faffing with tools and
buying tools when that often isn’t needed/is overly expensive.

Luke, a sensitive, approachable bike mechanic who wishes to lower the
economic entry point for at-home mechanics as much as possible