I agree with Ted on the problem of getting Ideal Cog Teeth & first cogs
being too small (11T & less) , but I believe a 46-36-26 triple with a wide
range Shimano HG-400 12-36 9 speed cassette (Deore RD-M591-SGS), 130mm OLD
Tiagra 4000 rear hub, and 650Bx38's gives me:
good gearing in my cruising range (75 to 55gi) with 3 cogs to use in the
Outer and Middle rings
an even 16% to 12% gearing change between all the cogs.
good chain line (<= 0.040% chain stretch) over a 6 cog range on each chain
ring (front CL's of 52, 44, 38mm & rear CL of 44mm)
good high/low range (101 to 19 gi)
good FD performance with old school style FDs (using a 9 speed Sora
FD-R3000, but also used a 1980's Shimano FD-MT60)

The learning for me was to be willing to shift between the Outer and Middle
rings *much more often *than I thought before, e.g. shift to Middle 3 cog
when using the Outer 4 cog and the terrain indicates a need for lower
gearing.   Before I tended to stay on the Outer ring too long.  Now, the
outer and middle rings are used much more evenly.  The 10T ring difference
makes shifting the rings easy.  The 26T Inner is still for big hills, but I
feel I get to it more efficiently than before.

The triple limits you to a 44T Outer (FD cage hitting the C/S with a 42T).
but the 46T/12T combo gives me the 100 gi high I want with 650Bx38, so I
see the chain ring size limit as theoretical limit I don't encounter as
long I have a large stock of HG400-9 12-36 cassettes.

*As for Leah's problem *with shifting to lower gears, I think Sheldon said
it best (paraphasing),  "when you come to hills, shift to your lower gears
before you need too".  Easier said than done.

John Hawrylak
Woodstown NJ