I'll toss this out, FWIW, which may not be much, but: for a year or so
(sophomore/jr years) my daughter got around campus on a longboard, compact
enough to haul into the lecture hall, until her project responsibilities
with bulky kit made it impracticable. But books fit in backpacks and the
campus and town are/is relatively compact (NWU, Evanston, IL).