I agree with Christian’s general message.

If the young man does end up taking the bike to college, make sure he locks it properly and redundantly

Whenever I lock a Rivendell to a rack, I lock the heck out of it. I’m talking three U locks and a thick cable lock. It’s a pain, you have to find the right kind of rack to accommodate all the locks, and it means carrying an extra weight. The additional few seconds a thief would have to spend dealing with the locks might be enough deterrent.

Yes to Pitlocks, too. With a couple of extra keys.

There are no guarantees, even with the crazy number of locks I use. I’m not sure how else to integrate the bikes into daily life, though.

I had a bike stolen from my front lawn when I was a kid, and another one in college. It’s a horrible feeling no matter how cheap or fancy the bike is. The college experience taught me that you have to make it onerous for a thief, and you can’t ever be lax about it.

Also, be sure to insure the bike! As a college student his property might still be covered under his parents’ homeowners policy. My college bike was. Best to check to make sure.

Jim