Two high-intensity sessions a day in an unaccustomed high gear pedaling at
unaccustomed high torque, possibly with the bike not perfectly set up --
that sounds like the reason right there. If you did this with a saddle too
low, and again were not used to this sort of thing, even at 40 you'd
certainly feel it.

I recall cranking a 70" gear up a 7-mile-long hill back when I could crank
a 70" gear up a 7-mile long hill, which involved standing for a mile,
sitting and torquing for a couple of hundred yards, repeat; and doing this
ride only occasionally at long intervals without this sort of exertion*.
About 2 days later my legs were so sore and still I could hardly walk down
my stairs; and this was ~10 years ago when I was in my late 50s and used to
climbing fixed, just not 7-mile hills. It would take me several days of
rest and flatland riding to get my legs back in order.

If I had done this with my saddle too low, my legs would have been even
worse off, not to mention my knees.

As others say, adjust to fit, reduce the resistance, and spin.

* Up until she turned 15, got her learners' permit, and commandeered my
car, I'd drive my daughter to skating lessons at the top of the Tramway
Boulevard hills. I'd sometimes carry my Dahon Hon Solo, 70" gear, and ride
it down the hill and back up again. I'd occasionally ride it on the 75" Joe
Starck 1999 fixed custom, but that was no harder, perhaps even easier
because of the better fit and riding position and of course 10 lbs less in
weight to haul up the hill.