Hi Matt — Welcome! And I hope you find a Platypus that fits you well. Where
are you located? Maybe we can help find someone in your area so you can
have a test ride before you buy a frame. I think a 55, as you say, would be
more versatile.

I have a 2009 Hillborne that's a 57cm and a 2021 Appaloosa that's a 54cm.
Got the Hillborne used and the sizing worked out. Before I bought the
Appaloosa I called Riv and I was between sizes. Grant said to go 54 instead
of 57. I'm glad I did, that was the right call for me.

As far as saddle height, it can take some time to figure it all out. Fore,
aft, tilt, setback, height! For years I was convinced I needed tons of
setback to be comfortable. But recently on my Hillborne I set my saddle
higher than normal and moved it closer and now I'm more comfortable and
markedly *faster*. No science or precision details to share but do
experiment. I find the PBH minus 10-11cm to be a good starting place. The
thickness of the soles of your shoes makes a difference, too.

Best of luck and let us know if you find a bike!