On Thu, 2010-06-03 at 11:11 -0400, Frederick, Steve wrote:
> One issue,
> for those of us who do this infrequently is that I'm never sure which
> direction - right or left - that the adjuster needs to be moved.

Here's another way to remember it:  if it won't downshift quickly or
completely (and with a bar end shifter you need to "overshift" or pull
beyond the click to get the shift to complete) the cable's not pulling
enough, i.e., not enough tension.  If it's lazy upshifting, there's too
much cable tension.

The barrel adjuster or inline adjuster is a right hand threaded screw.
When you unscrew it (i.e., turn it anticlockwise) it backs out, which
makes the housing longer, which adds tension to the cable -- exactly
like the tension adjuster on the brake.

Does anybody have any trouble remembering how to use the barrel adjuster
on a brake?