Hi Paul — If you're regularly hauling loads like in your picture it would
be worthwhile to get set up with some good racks and panniers. A handlebar
load of 36 lbs sounds dicey! I'm impressed you got a photo of the bars
loaded up while in motion.

I've had a few setups over the years. The one that allowed me the most
volume was a LHT with front and rear Surly racks (they're very stout). I
had a Wald 137 up front with a Sackville shop sack and I'd run two of the Jandd
grocery panniers <https://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FGBP> in the
back. The Jandd bags are the size of a standard brown paper grocery bag. I
could haul some serious weight! Sometimes I'd strap a 12-pack of seltzer to
the flat part of the rack between two fully loaded panniers. These days I
do much more frequent and smaller grocery runs with my Appaloosa or
Hillborne. There's a nice grocery store that's 3/4 mile from my house and I
go there frequently, sometimes every day.

I use my bicycle as a grocery cart inside the store. Both of the grocery
stores I frequent have bike racks outside but I've found that wheeling my
bike inside saves me time and effort. I go in the store with the bike, fill
the bag, check out, reload the bag, go home, take the groceries inside. On
my Appaloosa I'll attach a Wald 139 to my Nitto M1 with Voile straps and
then set a medium Sackville shopsack inside. My Hillborne has a Ron's Bikes
Fab's Abs which holds enough for a small trip (avocados, chocolate,
fermented beets, some carrots). Both bikes have a Widefoot liter cage which
is good for managing a little extra volume like a quart of yogurt or
certain bottles of sparkling water. There are a few items that fit a
standard bottle cage as well.

With the Appaloosa/Sackville combo I really appreciate being able to grab
the bag out of the basket and walk inside. I've run Ron's Bikes Fab's Chest
bags and used them for groceries. They hold a lot of stuff but when I get
home I have to unload the bag into a box or something then carry everything
inside and that's a pain.

For a brief and shining moment one of the grocery stores offered a scanning
app that allowed customers to scan barcodes with their phone. I only had to
load up once, then scan my phone at the self-checkout. I loved that I
didn't have to unload everything to scan it at checkout. That was great, I
was so fast. Another note on expedience: locking up the bike outside adds
two walks across the parking lot, plus unlocking, plus loading the bike
with my bag of groceries. So I've settled on the bike-as-cart method. Works
better for small and frequent trips rather than big hauls up to 40 pounds.

I realize it's certainly not for everyone. I try to go at off times when
the stores aren't very busy. It also attracts attention and some people
find it odd or bothersome (because it's unexpected and different). Kids
stare in wonder.

Let us know what you end up doing!