Lots of great info in here. I have an easy commute, about 4 miles each way,
but I have the constantly fluctuating midwest weather to deal with. I'll
offer a counterpoint to some previously mentioned advice of minimizing what
you carry. Overall I agree with keeping your load to a minimum, with the
exception of some clothing accessories. In the fall/winter i keep some
stuff in my commute bag full time.

Things like:  Rain Gear. 2 pair gloves (I have gloves for below freezing
and some dotty wools and keep them both on the bike. Wear the wrong ones to
start? Pull over and swap em out real quick. No sweat!) Same goes for
winter head gear. Maybe even an extra sweater.

I find i fret over the details of the weather less when i know i can easily
make some mid-ride adjustments to my clothing.