I comprehend that perspective. and it's an evergreen retort to "doing it
right".  You should be able to "do it wrong" and still get optimal
results.  If there is a "right way" to do it, then it's already
disqualified.  I disagree with that perspective, because there's always an
even more wrong way to handle any subassembly.  The old saying goes "Idiot
proof?  They'll just make a bigger idiot".

The fact is that 95% of bicycles made in the last half-century with
multiple chainrings have bolts of this type.  All of them have an
equivalently bad design, right?  This has nothing to do with hidden bolts,
or Silver cranks.  It's every thing except after-market two-headed
chainring bolts like Wolf Tooth makes.  My XTR M985 cranks also came with a
two-headed chainring bolt design.  Folks that hate traditional chainring
bolts will be free to use a two-headed design on their Silver or Silver2
cranks, so they are golden.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA