And park my dreams in metered spots.
I populate the empty lots
With my good ghosts,
And invest the pavement
with diamond recollections.
Exertions are my exercise,
My labors for effect.
I walk to go and go to walk.
I walk to work and work that I might walk.
I walk to dream up orders
For my servile sitting self.
No stagnant sedentary thoughts
Shall rule this life.
But who knows what's for what.
I sure walk a hell of a lot.

Don't waste my time, what is this?

Urban Ranger is an extended metaphor to convince people (starting with
myself) to make a habit of purposeful, sustained walking.
Man, you are a bad poet

And you should be doing your job. Gimme a break. This is the internet.
Exertion vs. Exercise

It's idiotic. We've invented one class of machine to spare us physical
exertion, and another class of machine to inflict it back on us again, but
in an infinitely more boring, painful, and useless manner. We view it as
the triumph of our age that work no longer means labor, that we can burn
fossil fuel instead of living muscle. And yet we berate ourselves that we
do not labor in our leisure time, that we do not spend our freed hours in
the gym, that torture chamber that is only possible because the automobile
and the escalator have saved us so much labor that the surfeit is killing
us.

It's offensive. Work, dammit, and you won't have to play work later. No,
you probably can't kill a caribou for dinner, or plow a field, or do most
of the useful work that your ancestors did for thousands of generations.
But you can still walk. And believe it or not, walking is enough (more on
that below).

Let me guess: you don't go to the gym, or strap yourself to the bike
machine, or grind the cartilage off your joints jogging around the track,
as often as you think you should, if at all. Maybe you go for six months,
plateau, get bored, quit for a year, get disgusted, and start up again.
Maybe you haven't exercised in ages. You suspect that your problem is a
deficiency of willpower. Well, you're off. Your problem is you are
squandering willpower on a hopeless task: exercise divorced from purpose.
The solution: purposeful exertion; in particular, walking.

Walking is *still* useful. It is interesting and pleasant. You can think
and observe while you walk. You get somewhere. You don't need any special
equipment or outfits. It provides great health returns on very little
investment, without the risk associated with high impact activities. And
you can do it for the rest of your life.

--

Patrick Moore

Executive resumes, LinkedIn profiles, bios, letters, and other writing
services

*When thou didst not, savage, k**now thine own meaning,*

*But wouldst gabble like a** thing most brutish,*

*I endowed thy purposes w**ith words that made them known.*