It is amazingly epic and not like anything else, ever.

I've done it twice with my son on a tandem back when he was 8 and 9 years
old.  First year, pouring rain and a sparse crowd.  While freezing, we made
it to the 4th borough before bailing and taking the Brooklyn Bridge back to
Manhattan.  For that one, we were up near the front when starting, which is
key f you can get there to start.  We were never colder in our lives
although my then 8 year old son was still not as miserable as he could have
been - we were on a bike, after-all.

The second year, we were back in the pack and the experience was still
great, but different as we got onto the highways, where traffic did back up
as it would with 30K cyclists crammed into a 3 lanes road.  Also, there are
all sorts of folks who are riding, some want to go fast at all costs, some
are meanderers, others are just not ready to ride 40 miles.  Just smile and
look at all the interesting people and bikes as you are queued up.  Meet
friends.  Ring your bell.  Count the Rivs you see.

The portion you reach in Brooklyn when you get on the highway ends up being
a revelation for a lot of riders, and not in a good way.  The road just
opens up and it becomes clear that a long ride is ahead on a highway for
the last several miles.  The wind will invariably be in your face then. You
see a lot of riders who then are questioning their life choice because the
road is really so imposing then.  And at some point, you see the Verrazano
Bridge and it seems like the end is near.  It is not.  But once you get to
it, and climb to the center and do the downhill ride to the finish, it is a
great feeling.

Once done, there will be some time to get back across to Manhattan on the
ferry.  Save food for this part of the journey.