I agree with others, that it'll look better when threaded through a mounted
derailleur.  Definitely do NOT remove another link until you try that
though.    Even so, I have definitely had cases where I still felt like
there was too much slack, and ended up replacing the B-screw with a longer
one.  In fact, I was doing that so often that I just bought some in bulk.
(I think my issue is that Im usually trying to maximize gear range, rather
than achieve tiny, incremental steps for maintaining cadence.)  In a pinch,
you can also turn the B-screw around and thread it from the opposite side.
In that case, UN-screwing it increases the tension.