I've always wondered what advantages a 2X1 has over a 1X2 if you are going
to use derailleurs -- the 2X1 requires a FD and something like a RD while
the 1X2 requires only the rear one -- but for ss sans derailleur some
people say that front shifting is easier than rear shifting. Not for me,
though.

Am eagerly awaiting the close ratio Silver Rivendell IGH (with proprietary
wingnuts).