just as an aside to your aside, I recently did some hobbyist lathe work for
our friend Joe Bunik, who intends to build a two-speed single-speed
mountain bike.  He had me modify a vintage crankset to yield a single
52-tooth aluminum chainring that can bolt to the Problem Solvers system of
cassette spacers.  I forget what his "other" cog size is going to be, but I
think it may be a mirror, like 52/32 chainrings and 32/52 cogs, so he'll
have a 52x32 high gear and a 32x52 low gear.  I hope that doesn't spoil his
reveal.

BL in EC