I have been using an Ortlieb Vario (latest model) every weekday for nearly
a year and it has been fantastic. I'm an industrial designer who has
designed many bags. This is hard to beat. I'm typically not a fan of the
overly engineered plastic/advanced manufacturing methods, but it is
extremely effective in this context. The most important elements are all a
9/10 or 10/10, being:

-Minimal friction to convert from pannier to backpack. Takes me 3-5
seconds. If this isn't easy, you will not be encouraged to use the feature.
- Straps/back of the bag/anything that touches clothing is fully protected
from road grime.
- The backpack actually functions well as a backpack. Mine is VERY heavy (I
carry a full mobile office in it) and it handles the weight VERY
comfortably.

Retail price is very expensive but I got mine new off eBay for a
considerable discount. Very minimal organization, but excellent size,
especially considering the option to expand with the roll top. As with all
ortlieb products, I can bike in a downpour and have zero concern for my
electronics.