Hey all-

I've used North St Bags for several years, both their more basic panniers
and also a convertible backpack/pannier of theirs, an older model I
believe. I used a set of regular North St panniers and the convertible with
its non-converting mate (I had them made custom) on several tours in the
earlier teens, including a four-month odyssey across the continent. North
St. bags are well made and Curtis stands behind them, repairing them if
needed.

I feel that their convertible bag was the best of the type: works great as
a pannier and good (though not great) as a backpack. I like how the pannier
hooks were hidden in "backpack" mode, no worries about them digging into
your back or having some "extra" thing you have to either add or remove to
make it work as a backpack. I say it works "good" as a backpack because the
pannier stiffener means the bag won't contour to your back, so it's good
for more limited use--I definitely felt the "stiff board" for prolonged
periods of use. Also, North St. uses the simple "hook and bungee" pannier
mounting system--simple and easy to repair, but not as secure as Ortlieb
locking style mounts.

I don't have my convertible bag anymore as my needs shifted. But I don't
regret having one.

Best,
Shawn in The Portland