I promise you that Rivendell is flattered that nice people gather
themselves to complain about the former-models that Riv no longer makes.
 It shows a love for Rivendell that most other bike brands don't get.
 There's no Specialized google group where current Specialized fans are
griping about Rockhoppers and Sequoias.  All those nostalgic cyclists have
bailed on Specialized entirely.

What Rivendell does, and has always done, is build the bikes they want to
exist.  If you like one and want to buy it, great.  If you don't like any
of them and buy something else, that's also great.  They (Riv) does not
care about making money, except to the extent they can keep the lights on
and pay their people a modest living wage.  They do not care about growth.
 Actually, they probably have made up their minds that they can't grow.
 They know exactly how many bikes they can afford to sell, and they plan
out making that many bikes.  That very limited number of bikes is always
going to be "whatever they feel like making".  They count on the fact that
somebody is going to buy them, and it usually works out for them.  The
bikes they feel like making are bikes that don't exist anywhere else and/or
have never been made before.  When they made the Saluki circa 2007, bikes
like the Saluki didn't exist.  Today, bikes like the Saluki do exist, so
Riv doesn't have to make them.  The fact that some Riv-fans are nostalgic
for former models is touching, but they don't make nostalgia models. If you
want a short wheelbase Rivendell, buy a Crust, ride the heck out of it, and
be happy.  That's what Riv would tell you.

The Roaduno is the classic, IMO.  They love the idea of a purpose built 3x1
road bike.  Nobody...not a single person on earth is pounding on their
keyboard complaining that it's hard to find a purpose built 3x1 road bike.
 There is NO demand for it, but Riv is making it anyway, because they feel
like it.  If you buy it, great.  If you don't, they hope you find something
else that you do want to buy.  It's perfectly logical for you nostalgic
Riv-fans to gripe "they couldve taken that Roaduno money and did a run of
traditional short-wheelbase Atlantis!!!!"  Yep, they could have.  That's
not what they felt like doing.

My advice to the disappointed is to just let Riv be Riv.  Seek out the
bikes you like, buy them and ride them.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA