Hi All - just my two cents:  I have two Quickbeams and use both often - one
in Oakland and one on the central coast.  I am running Sugino 40/32 with a
white industries 17 in Oakland and 40/32 with a white industries 16 on the
coast.  The Oakland set-up is nice and allows me to have a ball.  I am able
to ride up to skyline via the steeper routes with the 32 and still have
enough gear with the 40 to enjoy the flats.  The 16 rear also allows
climbing and provides a little more umph.  As I am aging this is getting
more challenging. Depending on terrain I would go with the 17 in the rear
unless your a very good climber and pretty fit.  Larger than a 17 and I
dont think the flats would be as much fun.

On another QB subject, what is it that makes these bikes so enjoyable and
all out fun.  The folks at Riv echoed this - how much people love their
QB's.  It is much more than the "singlespeed" mindset.  There is something
about the dynamic of these bikes. The QB is so stable and at the same time
responsive and comfortable.  I run mine with a flat bar
https://www.jitensha.com/eng/flatbar05.html and Paul brakes.   I believe
this handlebar makes a tremendous difference.  Since all my geared bikes
have drop bars I couldn't imagine using a drop bar on this set-up.

I bought these when Riv spoke alot about fit and maxing out standover
towards your pubic bone.  I haven't kept up with it but have tried the
newer bikes and was not able to find the same fit or a fit I loved.  I
think there is more spacing between sizes now.

Eric