To be nitpicky, "high normal"/"low normal" is terminology that's meaningful
primarily for parallelogram derailleurs. We operate as if those are the
only derailleurs that exist because parallelogram derailleurs (mostly
developed as extrapolations and knockoffs of Campagnolo's 1951 Gran Sport,
with important upper pivot developments by Simplex and then extensive
advancement by Shimano and Suntour) have essentially eliminated the
phantasmigorical range of derailleur designs that existed before 1960.

Consider the Cyclo, a 1930s design employed widely by French framebuilders
for both touring and townie bikes. The derailleur mounts under the
driveside chainstay, and has no spring action at all - a single looping
cable caused a helical shaft to pull the derailleur's pulley cage in one
direction or the other, and the cage goes however far you pull it. In the
case of the Cyclo, or other derailleurs in the category Jan Heine refers to
as "desmodromic" such as the Nivex Rene Herse is duplicating at (I'm sure)
great expense, there is no "normal"; there is no position to which the
derailleur cage returns when cable tension is released because cable
tension is equal throughout the derailleur's range. There is no spring to
return the cage to a point of stasis.

https://www.disraeligears.co.uk/site/french_patent_582247_-_cyclo.html

Our understanding that a "normal" derailleur state is conditioned by the
derailleurs which which we each have personal experience is easy to forget.
A couple years ago, Grant published a blahg item commenting on a 1950s
French racer brought in by our mutual acquaintance Ted Trambley of
Martinez, whom I know from CR primarily as a hobbyist restorer like myself.
He had brought in an early 1950s Alcyon (a marque which won a fair number
of Tours de France in the 1920s-30s) equipped with a Huret suicide front
derailleur (a mutual interest of Grant's and mine; I got Grant's
reassembled after an attempted cloner had sent it back from Australia in
pieces) and a Huret Louison Bobet rear derailleur. That rear derailleur
fits into a category I call "pullchain", because I haven't seen another
generic name for the type; the shift cable pulls a chain which goes through
the derailleur body to the pulley cage, and increasing tension on the
shifter+cable+chain draws the pulley cage outwards towards the body of the
derailleur projecting outward from the frame, with counteracting pressure
from a sort of flat clock-type spring.

https://www.rivbike.com/blogs/grant-petersens-blog/late-march-3

Grant's post gets excited about the fact that this means that relaxing
cable tension means the pulley cage goes inwards towards the large cog -
i.e., a "low normal"/"rapid-rise" derailleur. What he doesn't comment on is
the fact that in the 40s-50s there were dozens of derailleur models from
multiple companies in multiple countries (including Japan; the first
Shimano and Suntour derailleurs were knockoffs of Simplex pullchain
derailleurs) that did exactly the same thing, because that's just how the
design works. Pullchain rears were the most common format of racing
derailleur in the era, until enough teams bought Campagnolo's parallelogram
derailleurs to displace them. I don't know why Grant doesn't mention this;
I'm guessing it's because that style/design of derailleur is outside the
range of his first-hand experience, as it is for me until recently and for
almost any other rider/bike tech nerd under 85.

"Absolute normal"? "Opposite movement"? Who's the Shifting Pope who gets to
decide what "normal" is, from which everything else is a deviation? People
have been making multigeared bikes for over 100 years, most of which have
incorporated some mechanical means of changing gears while in motion. A few
systems are still around largely because all the manufacturers dropped the
other systems during the Eisenhower and Kennedy Administrations, but
there's patents and surviving examples of other options. IMHO, rapid-rise
parallelogram derailleurs are a little foolish - not because they've been
tried in the marketplace several times and very few people other than Grant
liked them, but because they're trying to force a dropped parallelogram
mechanism to produce the opposite result of what the mechanism was designed
to do, which is likely to be done with Rube Goldberg engineering. How much
more of that do we really need?

Peter Adler
who was a devout rider of the Huret Duopar, the world's most
over-engineered derailleur, for well over a decade in
Berkeley, California/USA