I’m contemplating pulling the trigger on a Sam now that they’re available
again. It was my first choice among Rivendell’s current lineup due to its
all-rounder quality and its ability to take v-brakes, which I prefer over
side-pulls and center pulls. Sadly, they weren’t available when I was in
the market late last fall so rather than waiting six months for the next
batch, I went with a Homer.

My first build on the Homer was with Billie bars, which provided a lot of
comfort for the leisurely rides I like to take. The ride quality, in
general, was very controlled and stable. However, the handling felt
somewhat awkward for me while turning and on climbs when I’d have to get
off the saddle. The reach was too short and I think the bars had too much
back sweep. Rather than explore another upright bar, I began to wonder if
drop bars would serve me better. One thing I noticed was that the tip tube
was longish so if I were to switch to drops, I’d need a shorter stem (I was
using a 110mm faceplater). I’ve since switched to drop bars (with 60mm
stem) and after a brief stint with Simworks Wild Honey bars, I think I’ve
settled on Ritchey Venturemax Classics.

Now that the Sams are available again, I’m starting to wonder if I should
sell the Homer and get one in green. I love the mustard color on my Homer,
but I like green even more. When comparing geometries, I noticed that the
chainstays are 2” shorter, but the top tube is 1” longer on the Sam. I felt
the top tube on the Homer was long enough so maybe the longer Sam TT might
be too long?

Should I rein in my wandering eye and stick with my Homer?