Another list member recently asked a question "Which Front Derailleur
option is best for a 38/24 front, 11-36 rear". At the time, I commented
that my AR has a 38/24 front, that I often spin out on level ground and can
only coast down hills, and that I have been planning to remove the chain
guard and swap in a 46T front ring, to turn my double into a triple. But
then I got to wondering, would I actually be better off making a switch in
the back...

My 26" rear wheel is built around a Bullseye hub, with a 14-34 freewheel.
The front wheel is brand new - a Rich-built dynamo with a Shimano hub.

My question....would I be better off making a change in the front, going
with a triple and the current rear wheel? Or, should I upgrade to a new
rear wheel, with a hub cassette at 11-36? Here is my stab at basic math,
which may or may not provide useful information
My current "big gear"  38÷14 = 2.71
with the added triple,   46÷14 = 3.28
with a new cassette and existing chainrings 38 ÷ 11= 3.45

I understand, of course, a new rear wheel would be a more expensive
solution. My existing FD is a Shimano 105. I think it could handle the
triple, but I haven't yet put it to the test.   Are there other factors to
consider?