If you change the rear to a cassette hub, you will likely need to re-space
the drop outs. I'm guessing your current freewheel hub is 126mm.
Spacing.out to 130mm would be okay.

My opinion would be just to change the chainrings to give the higher gear.
The older 5 ans 6 speed wide range freewheels lend themselves well to
half-step gearing. If you have a triple crank maybe a 44/48 or 42/46 with a
granny gear of 28.

If you are just commuting and running around with bike (vs touring or
randomneuring), I would be inclined to just put on bigger chainrings.
Cheaper, easier, better!  My 26" wheel commuter had a 14-28 6 speed
freewheel and I paired it with a 53/42 double and it was great like that.
I do enjoy mashing up hills on my commuter though. I consider it anaerobic
training. Because the bike sees so much winter use, I decided to make it a
single speed and like it even better now, but the above gearing worked well
for me.

IanA Alberta Canada