When I built up the third Riv I bought, a Cheviot, after having bought a
webspecial Appa and a Riv built Roadini, I ran into the classic mistake of
not knowing what I didn’t know, and rejoined a section of 9 speed chain
with the previous pin, instead of using an extra quick link. Shortly after
the build, I was changing gear to go through an intersection when the chain
snapped, completely shearing my derailleur in half and twisting part of the
chain 90 degrees. I wasn’t pedaling very hard. Luckily there was no other
traffic and I was able to push the bike clear of the street. I bent the
derailleur hanger and scraped a couple of spokes and the drive side fender
stay. I do build my own bikes now, but I have a lot more know how than I
did in 2019 when I got the Cheviot.