Well said, Corwin!  My first 2 Rivendells were ordered with BB and HS
installed and my late partner built up the rest of the bikes as he was a
good mechanic. In 2016 when I ordered my mixte and his health was declining
I ordered all the parts from Rivendell . Mark built the bike and Rich built
the wheels. The labor was about 200 USD + 50 for fender installation, and ,
having watched videos of Mark at work, I think it was money
well-spent...and I agree that Rivendell IS worth supporting. In late 2015
when I ordered my bike, I think Riv was having some financial challenges at
the time and I was more than happy to support them. Win/win.

I do understand the motivation to build your own bike but I myself
certainly don't have the workshop or next-level skills of someone like Bill
Lindsay...so it made sense to me to go all-in with Rivendell. Know thyself
as others have said.

On Saturday, June 8, 2024 at 3:52:23 PM UTC-5 Corwin Zechar wrote:

> I have been paying $200 for (three) Riv Builds for more than fifteen years
> now. I think $200 for a great build is an exceptional value. Could I do it
> myself? Sure. But Riv doing the build saves me lots of time (and
> aggravation, when I discover I need some small part, lube, tool, etc.) And
> I never forget - the people at Riv all need to eat, go to the doctor, put a
> roof over their heads, etc.
>
> Keeping good organizations in business is very important.
>
> Regards,
>

> Corwin
> On Tuesday, May 28, 2024 at 5:34:23 PM UTC-7 Bill Lindsay wrote:
>
>> If you've got a shop that will charge you for a Tune Up, and then give
>> you a full frame-up assembly, that's a nice deal to find.  $100 is about
>> right for a Tune Up.  Do you think they are really going to get the build
>> done in under 2 hours?  Or do you think you're getting a good discount on
>> their time?  Rivendell's build-service that is more like a "Tune Up" is the
>> $150 job they charge for completes.  Your shop's $100 vs Riv's $150 sounds
>> like more of an Apples to Apples comp...  If your shop knows what they are
>> getting into when they quoted you $100, then I'm guessing something about
>> your particular situation has the shop thinking the build is going to be
>> super quick.  Like maybe your frame set is used and not new, and so there's
>> zero prep and thread chasing involved.  Or maybe the BB and headset are
>> already in there and don't have to be touched.  Or the cockpit is in a
>> single piece already and/or there is no handlebar tape to wrap.  You've
>> already implied they won't be touching the wheels because you bought new
>> handbuilt wheels which are presumably perfecto.  At any rate, I'll stick to
>> calling BS to the assertion that Riv is charging $300 for exactly the same
>> service that normal bike shops would do for $100 or less.  If it's a 3-4
>> hour build, it should cost 3-4 hours worth of labor.  If it's a 90 minute
>> build, then $100 should cover it.
>>
>> Bill Lindsay
>> El Cerrito, CA
>>
>> On Tuesday, May 28, 2024 at 3:08:17 PM UTC-7 Robert Calton wrote:
>>
>>> My husband-and-wife run LIBS is building my one and only bike (a Homer)
>>> from parts and charging me $100 for it, the price they charge for a full
>>> tune-up. They also charge $60/hour for a la carte services, as you point