Thanks for revealing all of the details.  Helps explain the situation
better.  Under the circumstances I'd say take the longer Platy and try to
deal with the Amtrak conductors at New Buffalo.  Doesn't sound like it'll
be much of a problem.
Oh, and congrats on having a son who's studying physics during the Summer
time.  More power to him.