I feel like the healthiest way to approach the helmet discussion - always -
is to simply discuss the various reasons why or why not folks personally
decide to use them. It's always better than asking "should you, or
shouldn't you?", and definitely better than discussing whether or not they
should be mandated or compulsory (something I personally would be staunchly
opposed to, even though I usually wear a helmet). Further, I find the
question of "why don't we wear them while driving, or walking outside" a
false equivalency, and really adds nothing to the conversation but a
certain undertone of scorn or mockery.

Like many things in life that tend to be controversial, your own personal
attitude is usually dictated by whether or not you've been adversely
affected by it. I never wore a helmet until one night in 2007 when my wife
was struck by a hit-and-run driver as we were pedaling home... not even
half a mile from our house. I was maybe 50 ft in front of her when she was
struck. She was wearing her helmet, I was not. The impact folded her back
wheel, ejected her from her bike, and caused her head to hit the curb, also
breaking her ankle in the process. Her head was fine, but her helmet was
split right up the back, as it did its job. First thing the cops asked us
when they arrived on the scene was, "why were you guys riding bikes at
night"? I wanted to punch him in the mouth for victim-blaming. We had
lights, and were riding well within our rights to the road. That whole
experience shook me, and still haunts my wife every time she hops on a bike.

I used to only wear my helmet when riding in traffic or in groups, but with
the proliferation of e-bikes and the number of lycra-clad time trialers
using shared use paths for training, or catching KOMs, I definitely grab
the helmet more and more these days... probably 98% of the time.

Plus, my wife gently reminds me every time I walk out the door to go hop on
the bike.

Brian
Lexington, KY