My criteria for a helmet include protection for my head (from sun and
impact), comfort (is light, breathable, fit), promotes visibility (for
others and does not reduce visibility for me), and looks OK (both wearing
and what it does to the hair upon removal). I don't expect much of any of
those criteria for a helmet. As for fit, I recommend folks try on many: I
require a size L or XL from Bell and Specialized, but just barely
comfortably fit into a size medium with a Smith helmet.

I consider it a nice thing that cycling provides an expectation for wearing
a helmet. Honestly, I consider wearing a helmet to drive (hey, how many
people still wear N95s when driving alone?), and wonder if that trend would
catch on.

Funny thing about cyclists: We''ll spend an extra hundred dollars on tires
that might or might not increase our speed by a mile an hour or so, and who
knows how much to reduce the bike's weight to add another mile an hour of
performance. Noting that a crash at 14mph, likely exceeding a bike helmet's
safety limit, introduces 1/3 additional energy at impact vs. crashing at
12mph. And, oh, the nail-biting difference riding from twelve to fourteen
miles an hour - takes your breath away.

Of course, we really enjoy cycling for the exercise. But then spend
hundreds of dollars more on tires and bike weight reduction to make the
ride easier.

Actually, we ride for the social benefits of being with a group of friends.
And then spend hundreds of extra dollars on tires and bike weight reduction
to drop those jerks on a sprint or climb.

Seriously, I intentionally ride slower on the flats and descents, even
tapping the brakes and sitting or standing upright to decrease speed, and
go for it on the climbs. I love how my Clem is suited to me for that
mindset. Somehow I hang on the climbs with the folks on their CF bikes.

Not so seriously, I don't always wear a helmet. I in fact wear two around
the house and in the shower. I just take one of the two off when I want to
go for a ride.

Cheers,

Chris