Wasn't the original Riv mountain bike built generally along the lines of
the All Rounder which was modeled on the Bridgestone XOs, thus with far
lower stack than later Rivs?

The 55 cm (c-c) '92 XO-1 had a 56.5 or 57 cm tt and the All Rounder was
modeled on this, thus with far less tt slope and shorter head and steerer
than later Riv models. My 26" wheel '95 road custom was built with the All
Rounder as general model (tho' with steeper angles and road tubing and
lugs) -- in fact IIRC it had an even shorter 54 cm c-c st  -- with the same
tt and only a slight upslope, along with only modestly extended head and
steerer. To get a drop bar to fit properly you just had to use a high-rise
stem. A Technomic or T Deluxe or Dirt Drop would have worked fine had they
been available then, but I got a custom Salsa.

For context, my ideal level tt frame size is 60 X 56-57 c-c. Two later 26"
wheel road customs had taller frames (57 and 58, c-c), more tt slope, and
much more steerer and head extension, so that I could get my Maes Parallels
sufficiently high with standard "7" road stems.