YES! Success, and perseverance furthered! (Anything is possible, yes?!)

Low Riders, I say. What I know about the porteur comes from reading
Jan Heine's publications and the intertubes, but the gist is that you
should have the right front end and the right size tires. But my
Quickbeam handles a front load better than I expected from my previous
experience with 1970s Sport-touring frame (Eddy Merkyx/Falcon 531db)
and my 1997 Cannondale F900 mountain bike frame front loaded.

I would like to find these: Super C Limpet Front Pannier System, which
is pretty far down the page at
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/carradice.asp

and not currently available.

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 6:22 PM, PATRICK MOORE <bertin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It was in shallow retrospect grossly, ineptly and almost culpably ignorant of
> me to think I could just take 1 1/2 times a bike's weight and shove it on the
> back anyhow and expect the bike to handle normally. Anyway, I just got back
> from a brief 17 mile out 'n' back -- flat, no hills, but a few modest curves
> -- on the SH, this time with 42 lb in back BUT in the Ortliebs properly
> installed on the Logo. *What* a huge difference. It's at least as good as the
> Motobecane, probably a bit better -- with this amount of weight -- thanks to
> the stiffer rack (I assume it's stiffer; it's a Tubus and it has more struts)
> and, I daresay, stiffer frame -- it's not light 531, anyway. The bike still
> wanders, and I expect that after a couple of hours on it even this amount of
> wandering would get tiresome, but it is hugely, emphatically and excessively
> better than with the Axioms hanging off the rear of the rack. How obvious in
> retrospect!
> Anyway, I think that the ideal, that will make this bike quite wonderful as a
> tourer -- and I deliberately chose it over the beefier Atlantis -- will be to
> take, say, 15 or so lb from the rear and put it on the front.
> Which leads to the question: how best to load the front? Platform or porteur
> rack and big bag, or low riders? I guess, from what others say, that I will
> be carrying 40 to 50 lb total of load and, again, perhaps 3:2 rear:front.
> So, porteur or low riders? And, what is the best value for each -- I mean,
> brands, models? I know Tubus and Ortlieb are safe bets, but they are of
> course expensive.
> Thanks. I may have an Ostrich and a Nashbar rack, plus decaleur bits, to sell.
>
> --
> Patrick Moore
> Albuquerque, NM
> For professional resumes, contact