Instead of front/back weight distribution, the thing I have noticed
that affects handling more than anything is how the rear weight is
distributed from bottom to top.  If I have too much weight (and/or
height) piled on top of the rack itself the handling gets much worse.
This is true for all the bikes I've toured with including my Riv.  Is
that the case with you?  Are you placing heavy items directly on top
of the rack?  35 pounds is not that much if at least 25 of it is in
the panniers.  It's easy to check to see if this is the culprate.  Do
a test ride with your same load but have your rear panniers as full
and heavy as possible and put little or nothing on top of the rack
itself and see if the ride changes.

Pete