on 6/21/10 7:13 AM, jandrews_nyc at jasonaschwa...@gmail.com wrote:

> After some slightly rough riding and shifting last night, I broke a
> spoke on
> my Hillborne.  It's on the rear wheel, drive side.  I've never broken
> a spoke, and am wondering
> if this is something I can attend to myself or should I take it to a
> shop? Does a wheel need to be re-trued  after a broken spoke? I don't
> have a truing stand, so that may make my decision for me. Naturally,
> I'd like to fix it myself unless you all advise against it. Seems like
> a mighty useful skill to have.

My bias is to do everything yourself.  It demystifies things when you are
far from home, scratching your head over an unforseen mechanical situation.
If you know you need to do "X", then you can often times figure out a number
of ways to get there.

Driveside spokes are probably the worst to bust, as you will generally not
be able to get them out without removing the cogset.  One benefit of freehub
designs is that this can be a little easier - single tool and wrench rather
than a bench vise.

The other issue is if you broke the spoke through "rough shifting", you may
want to check your derailleur limit screws.  If the chain got wedged between
the low sprocket and your spokes, there may be some gouged spokes which did
not fail.  If you run a cotton ball or q-tip along the spoke, you'll see
which one's have gouges pretty easily.   As long as you have the cogset off,
I'd probably replace all the damaged spokes.

If it is more than one spoke, you probably want a competent retruing - using
a real stand and tensioning the wheel back up evenly.  If it's only one
spoke, you can usually make it work, though stress relieving can be
problematic and should probably be checked after a ride or two.

Decent spoke wrenches (as opposed to multi-tool "cutouts") are a good
investment.  Truing stands are pretty vital, but you can get pretty close
using the frame, brake and another solid reference point.

Hope that helps,

- Jim

--
Jim Edgar
cyclofi...@earthlink.net

Cyclofiend Bicycle Photo Galleries - http://www.cyclofiend.com
Current Classics - Cross Bikes
Singlespeed - Working Bikes

Gallery updates now appear here - http://cyclofiend.blogspot.com

"Nigel did some work for some of the other riders at Allied, onces who still
rode metal.  He hadn't liked it when Chevette had gone for a paper frame."
-- William Gibson, "Virtual Light"