The bars definitely do wear out, but the way most Riv riders have them set
up (high bar height relative to saddle plus generally chill riding) they're
likely to last a very long time. Anytime aluminum is flexing, it’s going to
eventually fail. I ride some more extreme terrain on a couple of my bikes
and I always do so with steel or titanium bars. Personally, I doubt you’ve
worn yours out unless you feel them flexing at times. Technically, the heat
treated alloy bars are  “stronger” than the cromo bars, but the alloy bars
can still fail from long term use in a way that cromo won’t. I definitely
recommend a faceplater as I’ve  always had issues with single bolt stems.