I am putting my money on it being the crank not being machined
properly.  On the drive side, at the square taper interface, the
cranks should be turned down a bit so that one can run a short BB
spindle.   This will allow the cranks to snug into the driveside bb
cup without binding the crank to the cup, or to the bearing.  I've
seen maybe 3-4 Sugino cranksets, all of them being of the XD variety
(Sugino's basic 110 and 130 bcd crank design sold to various
importers) over the last couple of years not have this machining.  It
basically causes the crank to bottom out on the driveside cup much too
soon, as the original poster has pointed out.  If one uses a longer
spindle BB, then it does not happen, but when you are trying to get a
good chainline (singlespeed, multispeed) or a lower Q-factor, this can
happen with an improperly machined crank.  It sounds like you should
contact Rivendell about getting a replacement crankset.  Good luck.
Gabe