>From what appears to be two distorted corners on the left crank arm.
The arm, without tightening down, seems to sit on the spindle
"funny".  Not like the right arm does.

However, it could be I had over-greased everything.  But that would
not explain why the crank worked fine for a couple of hundred miles,
then started.  More likely it had been slowly working loose. With my
riding style it probably means the damage is there.

Might clean off the grease from the spindle and re-install
everything.  Then take on a 20-40 mile test ride.  But am not sure
want to risk it a day before a 3 day trip with the wife.

Eric Platt
St. Paul, MN