Reading this short piece by Jobst Brandt (courtesy of Sheldon, RIP)
was very important in my education regarding square taper cranks, it's
worth a look:

http://sheldonbrown.com/brandt/installing-cranks.html

Basically:
1. When installing or re-installing cranks, they should be tightened
to adequate torque once and then left until they are removed; they
will naturally tighten themselves further onto the spindle during
riding.  As a result, the crank bolts will naturally lose preload
(i.e. they will feel "loose" if you go to tighten them again), but
they should not be retightened after initial instillation.  Doing so
will cause overtightening, leading to a distorted taper hole or
possibly crank failure.

2. If a crank becomes loosened over time, it is because the taper hole
is distorted, and Eric would be right that at this point they are
"beyond repair."  This most commonly happens on left cranks, and thus
you can usually buy replacement left cranks fairly easily (i've gotten
replacement left sugino XD crank arms from Jenson USA for like $20-
check it out).

3. A small amount of grease is okay on the spindle during
instillation; it helps achieve a more predictable press fit for a
given torque on the crank bolts (i basically run a greasy finger over
the spindle before installing--so not a lot).

I've stuck by these rules for a few years and it has done me well.
I've replaced left cranks arms for cheap if they get a little creaky,
but haven't had cranks wear out to the point of loosening in a
while.