On two different bikes I use Silver downtube shifters with 7 speed
IRD freewheels
and Campy Mirage and a Champ rear derailleur.
I can't believe how well this works in comparison to 70's-80's  top
end Campy (Record/Super Record).

I stil have to ease off a little to down shift while climbing but, as
already stated, some of us
have been doing that all along and can't stop even when using indexed
shifing.