For what it's worth, I have silver shifters and a Shimano 12-27
cassette on my Sam, and it shifts exceedingly well. Because of it I
have fallen in love with friction shifting, and have turned off the
indexing on my Fisher monster cross (Shimano 9 speed barcons, custom
12-32 cassette). On the Fisher, I regularly get unintentional shifts,
especially in the big cogs. Both cassettes are reasonably new, both
chains are reasonably new SRAM. Haven't swapped things around to
isolate the culprit, but my suspicion is that the Shimano shifter in
friction can't be adjusted in similarly small increments.

Gernot