I did the same trip on July 5-6 taking advantage of the long weekend. I took
my oldest daughter and my son with me and we had a blast. I've been
traveling almost non-stop since then so I haven't been able to post the
photos, but we loved it so much we're going back in November 20. There
aren't any campsites available for a Saturday night stay until then.

On the first day we rode the lower paved loop and stopped to see the
different locations. On the second day we rode the upper dirt loop. We took
the train from Palo Alto and rode to the Ferry Building and then got off the
following day on Peer 39 and rode to the Caltrain station to take the train
back to Palo Alto.

It was my first time with full panniers and my last ride with the Bombadil
before I got the Atlantis. We had a campsite on the west side and it was
colder and much windier than we expected. Fortunately we had taken extra
warm clothes just in case.

I forgot to lock some protein bars in the food locker thinking that since
they were unopened, there was no risk but the raccoons must have smelled
them because they managed to unzip my pannier and all the bars dissapeared.
To my surprise, even though they dragged the pannier to the edge of the
grass, they didn't damage it at all; they must have done this before, as
they managed to unzip the bag all the way without damaging it. My son and I
slept through it all, but my daughter said she got scared with all the
racket they made.

In November we'll be camping on the east side of the island as the west side
campsites were all full. How old are your children? If you want to join me
let me know; I'm pretty sure that I won't quite get to the full 8 occupants
for the campsite.
 Your photos seem to indicate that you packed lighter than I did... maybe I
can learn something from you! :-) I did take some extra clothes we didn't
use...

Here are some photos: *http://tinyurl.com/2g5996n*

René