I ride a very wide Surly 1X1 Flat bar with bar ends and a Cinelli Spinachi
aero on my Sam. I just realized several years ago that I almost never used
the drops. I spent better than 90% of my time on the brake hoods. The
argument for more hand positions is sort of moot if that is the case. I've
though about going back to drops, Randonner bars actually, but haven't
because I like my thumbshifters.

On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 1:45 AM, RJM <rjme...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I actually would rather have albatross, flat bar/bar end combo or a
> mustache than drop bars.  I don't like using brifters and find most
> drop bars too skinny, plus I don't like to ride in the drops so the
> bars aren't for me.  The wider the better for me.
>
> I can't say I have ever wanted drop bars and not had them.
>
> On Aug 27, 5:43 am, kevin lindsey <lindsey.ke...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Greetings.
> > I'm doing a rebuild and am considering switching from drop bars to
> > something like the albatross or the dove bars, mostly for aesthetic
> > reasons.  I use the bike (a 1973 Schwinn World Voyageur, not a
> > Rivendell) for longish fun rides, errands, and general purpose
> > riding.  Question I have for the group is whether there are ever times
> > when you wished you had drop bars instead of non-drops.  In other
> > words, are there clear advantages of one over the other?
> > I like drops, but find that I almost never move my hands from the
> > upper part of the bar, making me wonder whether I'd miss them very
> > much if I switched.
> > Thanks,
> > Kevin

Fai Mao
The Blogger who sometimes responds to comments