Regarding compact doubles, I've always run compact doubles on triple
cranks, so that if I decide later that this particular bike needs the
granny, I can do it.  I've gone so far as to have a bagged up kit of
parts for the swap (ft der, ring and bolts, bb).  I admit I like the
look of a compact double, and I like the idea of lighter weight even
if I can't feel it.  Also, I like a double when I can confidently say
I'd never use a third ring in a particular application, just like
those of you who are committed to a triple would call a fourth
chainring unnecessary.

On my Renovelo/Bleriot I'm going to use a 30/44 in front and an 11-28
9 speed in back.  If I decide that's not cutting it for me on the low
end, I have the parts to go all the way to a 29/46 in front and a
12-36 in back.  With that setup, I'd have a low gear of about 21.6
inches and a high of about 103.  Very few people need a higher high or
a lower low than that for any application.  Spread out over 18 gears,
with only 4 cross-chain gears that I'd want to avoid, that's 14 usable
gears.  I can live with those steps.  I'd argue that there is very
little to be gained in any triple setup over that.  The marginal
benefits would be limited to: better front shifting over my big
17tooth jump, a lower low possible, more gears in the same range with
a 3x8 or a 3x9.