On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 11:14 AM, Leslie <leslie.bri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Jim.
>
> Those are 32 Pasela Tourguards, under VeloOrange 45mm anodized
> fenders, under Tektro long-reach calipers, and there is no room to
> spare. I couldn't run a twig under there if need be, only water... a
> small, tiny gravel would be tight, and possibly problematic.
>
> I initially tried to use a daruma hanging from the brake bolt under
> the fork, but there wasn't room; I kept trying to tweak the fender's
> bend a bit, but it would interfere with the brake, or, scrub the tire,
> when I did that.   So I ended up changing it, and mounted an L-bracket
> to the top of the fender, then slid the other end between the fork and
> the brake caliper.
>
> It worked, but, there's occasional buzz of the tire on the inside of
> the fender, it's very sensitive to variations in pressure.   Also, I
> discovered that I had a bit of toe overlap with the back edge of the
> fender, where the rear strut's daruma sticks out a little further.
> For the summer, since it was mostly dry, I ended up pulling the
> fenders off.    I'd like to put them back on soon, but I'm also a bit
> hesitant.
>
> Some alternate plans of mine:  I could change the way the strut mounts
> to the rear of the fender, that would help with some of the toe-
> overlap issue.   I've also thought about changing to Paul's brakes, to
> see if that would give me even a mm more of clearance.
> Alternatively, though, I could just slide down to 28's, go to Ruffy-
> Tuffys instead of the Paselas.   I like the 32's, though.   I also
> think I'd like Jack Browns', too.    A fella at the LBS suggested
> trying the JB's, thinking that the extra tread on the Pasela might
> make it a little taller, that the JB might be a little more 'round',
> and that it may pass through w/ a hair more clearance.

Useful to hear.

I'm hoping that the berthoud/sks fenders that Peter White is selling
in 43mm are going to be the magic bullet for fenders and 32/33mm tires
on the ram/rom.

My theory is this:
1. thinner than the metal fenders
2. bolts to the outside
3. L-bracket at the rear of the fork-crown

If I'm wrong and I can still squeeze a 30mm tire in there then I'll
move down to the big wood or pasela 28mm.

But I am not clear if I will be wrong. We'll see when the berthoud/sks
fenders come in.

-sv