On Sep 29, 1:22 pm, Adam Kimball <adamfkimb...@gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]but right now they feel
> incredibly squishy to my hands.

The Pauls do not feel like dual pivots, they are squishy.
When I switch back to dual pivot braked bike the brakes feel
too abrupt, I have to remember to use a lighter touch.

The straddle wire that came with the brakes was to stiff
and the straddle carrier was cheesy. I use a Mafac straddle
carrier and more flexible straddle carrier without the lozenge
shaped bit. You want to minimize the brake take up.

> One thing I really don't understand is that variables the spring
> tension effects?

You need enough spring tension so the brakes retract completely
from the rims, the springs are also used to center the brakes.